Thursday 30 August 2012

Privileged


Have you ever felt that you live a privileged life? 

Coffee in the sunlight
Not too long ago we camped alongside Jones Creek next to the highway between Leinster and Wiluna in Western Australia, and while the camp itself was nothing spectacular (except maybe the sunset) the next morning while I was lying in bed enjoying the silence I happened to cast an eye towards the kitchen sink where my freshly brewed cup of coffee was sitting. And it was while I was deciding whether to get up or just snooze for a few more minutes that I began to watch the steam rise from my freshly brewed cup of coffee in the sunlight that was beaming through the window .

What came to mind in the mornings silence and as I watched the steam rise in the air before it dissipated, was how nice life was right at that very moment and how such simple things can bring happiness and contentment to our lives. I wondered why I had not taken the time to enjoy such simple pleasures before.

One of the thoughts I had while enjoying my moment was that we are privileged (some would say lucky) to live in a country that allows us to do what we are doing. We are privileged because we generally live our lives safely and comfortably each day without having to wonder where our next meal is coming from, or if violence will visit us or not.

The mere fact that Joanne and I have absolutely no restrictions on our movements and are free to roam as we choose is a real privilege and one that we intend to remember and enjoy each and every day.

How privileged do you feel?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave us a message here. We will be notified of it for approval prior to publishing (helps keep the idiots and spammers out).